Thursday, July 22, 2010

Technology as a medium of technology


Communication has significantly changed in the past decade. Our daily activities are achieved in a different way than 10 or 15 years ago. Before we went to places without the worry of having a cell phone. We would come and go as we pleased without having conversations on cell phone. We would gladly use pay phones or wait till we got to our destination to use the land line. I remember having a beeper when I was a senior in high school. Once the cell phones were introduced, I then purchased one. I have had a cell phone ever since. Now, I can't leave my house without my cell phone. I feel "naked" if I don't have it on me. My cell phone ahs become a huge part of my life, because it's wear I get in contact with my family anf friends.

Other than cell phones usage there are internet sites that allow us to chat with others. A big one right now is Facebook. This is a good source to reach out to friends you haven't seen or heard of in years. However, whatever happened to just chatting online through AOL, MSN, or YAHOO. Instant messaging was the only way to chat with friends through the internet 10 years ago.

Other gadgets include iPods and GPS systems. Many teenagers and college students own an iPod. they like to listen to their music while walking to class or even while working out at the gym. Older folks are interested in gadgets such as GPS. Not many people go to mapquest to look for directions. They can find their destination through their GPS. People rely so much on their GPS that that's how they get to their destinations at the moment.

This all shows you how quickly new inventions and gadgets are introduced to the world. People love new things. If it has to do with technology, they are "all over it".

5 comments:

  1. Hey there! I totally understand what you mean by feeling "naked"! If I don't have my phone on me, I am constantly itching to go get it. I can remember this one time during the spring, I left my phone in my room and was unable to go and get it in between classes because the distance was just far too much. I was constantly wondering what time it was since that was the only way I could determine the phone (I didn't have a watch on my wrist). I don't like the thought of not having my phone in my reach, it's just awful!

    And far as whatever happened to AIM and Yahoo Messenger? Who knows? I used to live on AIM, all day, everyday. AIM was my anti-drug, now I barely sign on to it anymore... Speaking of signing on, let me check my Facebook!

    You should definitely take a look at my newest blog, it's about Instant Messengers!
    http://praniece1107.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the days when cellphones weren't so widely used too. I remember going out without them, and having to call my parents from a land line when I got to a friend's house. Come to think of it, it made it a lot harder to lie about where you are to your parents. Now-a-days your child will call you from their cell phone at someone else's house and you have to take their word for it because caller id is no longer a way to discern someone's location.

    Rebecca Morse
    http://morse-online.com/rlm

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so weird how fast a fad will come and go. One day the cool thing will be AOL the next Myspace and then as soon as it came into popularity the soon it leaves and becomes uncool to use that. I was so weirded out when my mom got a facebook. Now everyone's parents seem to be on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious if Facebook will ever get old. Everything else seems to fade out after a few years and Facebook has been blowing up for quite some time now.

    And like everyone else, I completely agree, leaving home without the phone makes me feel "naked" and a little unsafe, I just cannot imagine life without one!!

    Check out my blog if you get a chance!
    http://twinkletoestv.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some people wonder if Facebook will continue for years. I think it will because it is a means of reuniting with old high school friends and new college friends. Besides, Facebook is always mentioned in almost every conversation. Also, when you take a picture someone is bound to say "this is for Facebook" or "you better tag me on Facebook". This media is used world wide and can find almost anyone. When you meet someone or see someone from the past, one of the first things you ask is if they have Facebook. Why? Because you can communicate with them more often. Facebook will definately be around for a while.

    As for the cell phone, I noticed today I used technology. For example, I was at the mall doing some shopping and my friend asked me to meet her at a place for lunch. I didn't know hhow to get to the restaurant so I used the GPS on my phone since my GPS for the car was ta home. If it had been years ago, I probably would've gotten lost. Thanks to technoly I was able to reach my destination.

    ReplyDelete