Friday, July 30, 2010

Text Messaging


Who doesn't text in today's society? My mom even learned how to text! This is insane but true. With text messaging involved in our daily lives, we don't have to speak on the phone as much. I think this is a downfall, because you no longer experience that one on one experience with the other person. Besides, text messaging is hard to understand. You don't know if the person is being nice, rude, sarcastic, and the list goes on. In other words you don't perceive the other persons reactions. Text messages can be misinterpreted.

Whatever happened to long conversations on the phone with a friend? Those days are long gone. I remember when I used to talk to my friends on the phone all the time. I miss those days. The experience is much more special, because you feel connencted to that person.

On the other hand, I can see where sometimes people would rather text. Personally, if i'm not in the mood to talk someone or don't have the time, I would text them. It is a convenient way to communicate with someone. However, I try not to do it as much. I still want to stay connected to my friends.

People in today's society are so consumed in their daily lives that they don't have time to make atleast one phone call. One should re-evaluate their day and make sure to call a friend atleast once a week. This ensures your connection with friends and family members.

3 comments:

  1. I would have to say that text messaging does fill that gap in between a full on face to face conversation with someone and quick reply. It is also not as time based as a phone call, no would think twice about a text message reply 5-8 minutes later compared to not saying something for more than 30 seconds in phone call. So it does have its role there. Also with the new smart phones, text messaging can look more like using a instant messenger online which could appeal to younger users.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think texting became popular so fast that peopel just forgot the importance of a phone call. Friends of mine are being asked on dates via texting and facebook all too much. I understand it is hard to face rejection and asking someone out is nerve-racking but we got through it at some point and i think texting is just a lazy, easy way out. I hope people start picking up the phone more often!

    Check out my blog!
    http://ashleymiskoff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! People should pick up the phone and dial more often. It makes the conversation more personal than a text message. Look at that, even asking people on dates through text messages. Whatever happened to the old fashion ways of asking a girl on a date? I still believe in that. It's kind of sad when a guy askes a girl on a date via text messaging regradless of rejection or not.

    I agree about the smart phones. Text messaging through smart phones is becoming more like and instant messenger. More and more people are probably consumed by text messaging on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete